Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Subjunctive - "Trigger Clauses"

The present subjunctive can be implemented with several indicative clauses that "trigger" a subjunctive, or subordinate(dependent) clause. Even in English, the sound of these trigger clauses calls for the subjunctive clause to follow because they imply an imposition of will or desire:






























insistir en
to insist
Insisto en que vengas a mi casa.
I insist you come to my house.
exigir
to demand
El maestro nos exige que hagamos nuestra tarea.
The teacher demands we do our homework.
querer
to want
Mi madre quiere que tú cenes con nosotros.
My mother wants you to eat dinner with us.
necesitar
to need
Necesito que me trabajes.
I need you to work for me.
mandar
to order, to demand
El doctor me manda que yo baje peso.
The doctor orders me to lose weight.
prohibir
to prohibit
La ley nos prohíbe que fumemos en los ascensores.
The law prohibits us from smoking in the elevators.
pedir
to ask for
David pide que yo le compre el libro.
David asks me to buy him the book.
recomendar
to recommend
¿Tú me recomiendas que me vista?
Do you recommend that I get dressed?




It is important to understand that this list is not all-inclusive. Basically, any clause you would use in English to imply a desire, want, or need would be used in Spanish with the subjunctive clauses adjoining the indicative ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Using "¿qué? and ¿cuál? in interrogative sentences; You know them better as "questions".

Both ¿qué? and ¿cuál? mean "what?" in English, but the verbs in Spanish change depending on where they are used.  " cuál &q...