Monday, September 10, 2012

Using Hacer to Talk About Time

Use the following formula:

hacer + ______ (unit of time) + que + verb phrase (present tense)

to discuss something that started in the past and is continuing into the present.  For example, if I have been in México for 3 weeks, I can say (using the above formula):

Hace 3 semanas que estoy en México.  I've been in Mexico for 3 weeks.  

You can even leave off que + verb phrase to mean "ago":

Yo fui a México hace 3 semanas.  I went to Mexico 3 weeks ago.  


Confused? Sign up for a lesson!  I'll give you a 1-hour Spanish lesson for only $10 if you mention this blog.  WOW what a deal...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Using "¿qué? and ¿cuál? in interrogative sentences; You know them better as "questions".

Both ¿qué? and ¿cuál? mean "what?" in English, but the verbs in Spanish change depending on where they are used.  " cuál &q...